Fortsätt till huvudinnehåll

Midsummer's Eve in Dalarna and recipes for cookies :-)

 View from the kitchen. Isn't it gorgeus!
We are back home again after a wonderful Midsummer weekend in the best place to be during this holiday - Svärdsjö, Dalarna. We had been invited by Gunilla and Per to spend the holiday in their wonderful house built in 1875, but completely modern, overlooking the lake Svärdsjön. We even had the luck to have sunshine and no rain that day. Why I write that? Well, it's more common it rains on Midsummer's Eve than the opposite :-) But we always hang in there. No matter what, we are outside eating, playing, drinking. All you need is good clothes we say :-) Another hard thing to battle is the mosquitos or "knott" which are more common up north.
Eating lunch
 Me and Staffan (Gittan's husband)
Anyway we all met up in time for lunch. I contributed with Västerbotten pie, shrimps and 3 different kind of cookies all which I did the night before. Gittan (Hasse's exwife) had made the most delicious bread and of course herring so had Cissi ( a new very nice friend). All in all we were 11 people gathered to celebrate.
The lunch started at 12 and continued for a couple of hours. Of course we had snaps, sang snapssongs and had a great time. The lunch was just over when we continued with coffee, cakes and cookies (!) After that we were so full and then the 5-kamp (5 different games which are played in teams) started.
We started out with a quiz - a walk with 13 questions hanging from trees and on houses. After the first game my team lead the game. My team was me, Gunilla, Thomas and Sandra (team 1). Team 2 was Per, Dennis, Klara, Gittan and Team 3 was Staffan, Hasse and Cissi.
Second game was hammer a nail in the plank with the fewest hits. Everyone in the team had to hit. It's harder than you think especially after a couple of snaps :-) We came second in this game.
 Nail in the plank. Thomas from my team in action
Then we had a rubberband around our face and we had to use our face muscles to get it down to the neck. This was so so hard and during this we certainly didn't show our best faces. It was hilarious to watch though. All in each team had to complete this. We won!
 Rubberband game
Then we had to build the highest tower which had to be standing for 30 seconds in order to be approved. We lost this one :-( because of the wind.
Finally we had to walk or run from the flag pole to a tree and back (the whole team one at the time) Then we had to walk/run the same once more and the thing was to come as close to the first time as possible. We won with 0,5 seconds!
It was so much fun all of it and I must admit that my fighting spirit was there! Final results - my team won!
And we even get prizes which I didn't expect at all. We each got a book. Great prize I think. Thank you Gunilla and Per for that and for fun games.
 Klara and Grandpa Hasse talking on the veranda
A short time with chatting, drinking followed after the games and soon it was time to start preparing dinner. We all chipped in and helped out with sallad, potatoes, BBQ (of course) and soon it was time to eat while, even now, we were singing not snapsvisor but Midsummer songs and psalms. Very nice :-)
Hasse, me and Per inside late at night eating strawberries and drinking coffee.
At around 8.30PM it was time for a delicious dinner and mark that we were still outside! But a few hours later the mosquitos atacked and it was started to chill down so we went inside to have the traditional strawberries with whipped cream :-)

Here's a link to my recipe for the cookies several of you wanted (sorry it's in Swedish but if you want it you can write me and I will translate it for you )

HELLO DOLLYS:

16 st
113 g smält smör
150 g krossade Digestive
90 g kokosflingor
170 g ljus choklad
100 g hackade pekannötter (jag tog pekan- och valnötter)
1 burk kondenserad mjölk

Värm ugnen till 175 grader och placera ugnsgallret mitt i ugnen.
Klä en liten långpanna (23x23 ca) med bakplåtspapper.

Smält smör och häll i långpannan. Krossa Digestivekexen och strö krosset i ett jämnt lager över smöret. Strö kokos över smulorna. Strö hackad choklad över kokoslagret. Strö nötter över chokladen. Häll till sist över den kondenserade mjölken över alla ingredienserna. Blanda INTE IHOP ingredienserna. De ska ligga i lager på lager.
(OBS! Förbered gärna alla ingredienser i små skålar så går det fortare och lättare vid lager-på-lager momentet)
Grädda kakan i 30-35 minuter tills stickan kommer upp torr när du provar i kakans mitt. Låt kakan svalna i formen och skär sedan i rutor.
Förvara i kylskåp eller frys in.

Lycka till och njut / Mia J


Kommentarer

  1. What a fun day! Someday I hope to spend Midsummer with you in Sweden :)

    SvaraRadera
  2. I hope so too! You are so very welcome. I hope you know that! Hugs and I'm just now going to read your blog about DR. I loved the flashmob video :-) Love you <3

    SvaraRadera
  3. A beautiful place by the lake, and I love the daisies on the table. It looks like you had a great medsummer day :)

    SvaraRadera

Skicka en kommentar

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

Anyone??

I wonder if anyone can see and read my blogg? I haven't had any comments in so long that's why I ask. Erik didn't win a Grammy last night but he had a blast and he and his fiancé looked just great! Another Swede, Ludwig Göransson, won 3 prices though. Congrats to him.

Sad day

Tonight Olle, my adoptive father that has been like my father almost all my life, died just before 9PM. It was very quick. I talked to the nurse at 6PM and everything was calm then. Just a bit over 2 hours later she called and said he's gotten worse. I asked how and she said his skin changed colour and that he could have 10 minutes or 10 hours left. I was just trying to get to my sister on the phone and ask her if we should go down when the phone rang again just 15 minutes afterwards and it was the nurse telling me that it was over. He went very peacefully and in his sleep. At the end he was given a lot of morphine so he wouldn't be in pain, which he wasn't. I called my sister but we both felt that we already had said our goodbyes and therefore didn't go down to say a last goodbye. He is probably up there somewhere looking down and sensing our feelings. We haven't been able to reach our mother yet and we probably won't tonight so I will tell her when I go there ...

On popular demand

I have on popular demand decided to start writing again. I haven't had time to do this blog for a lot of reasons mostly lack of time. There is so much to do and so little time. Since I last wrote there have been a big change and it's my grandson. Yes, I'm a granny now to the most adorable boy, Eddie. He's now 19 months old and I love him to the moon and back. He's my joy and I'm so happy I can see him grow. I have really been there from the moment he was born (almost).  Always on the piano the first thing he do. His parents called me the morning of April 23 last year at 0415AM and said it was time. So I just rushed out of bed, drove to them and then drove them to the hospital. It was a long day before we they called and told us that Eddie was born in the evening. Only 1 1/2 day later I fetched them and drove the new little family home. Since they don't have a car I have driven them where they want to go. The first 6 months were quite difficult wi...